Coorg now called Kodagu is a countryside city in the district of Karnataka in India. It is home to natives of the Kodava language, the Kodavas are a hospitable people, and are a clan skilled in martial arts. It is famous for its scenic sights, lush green landscapes, wildlife species, and mostly for its world-class coffee, it is also known as the coffee-producing hill of the Karnataka district. Madikeri, also known as Mercara (its former name) is the headquarter of this region, a hill station town.
From the north to the east, and the south, the city is surrounded by astonishing sights, ranging from the elephant statues in the entrance of the Madikeri Fort to the museums and temple within that region, then to the Tibetan temples in the east, to wildlife sanctuaries and national parks in the south.
How To Reach:
You can reach Coorg by air, train or road.
- By Air: If you seek to reach Coorg from a foreign country, the nearest international airport to Coorg is Kannur, however, the Bengaluru, Mangalore and Calicut airports are most recommended. Click Here To Book Cheap Flight Ticket
- By Rail: The railway station nearest Coorg is the one at Mysore, the station is connected to all the major cities in India via a well-linked railway network. The stations at Hassan and Mangalore are also close to Coorg.
- By Road: The city has a vast road network connecting it with all the major cities within the district of Karnataka. Mysore, Bangalore, Hassan, and Mangalore.
Where To Stay:
- Treebo Trend Durga Boji Grand Coorg: This hotel promises you an exceptional experience overall, with a hospitable staff. It also features a restaurant, 24-hour room service, and front desk, free wifi, a gym. Get more for your money at Treebo.
- Blue jackfruit: This homestay is located in Madikeri. It has a garden, a terrace with a beautiful view, a luggage store, it is relatively close to the Madikeri Fort and the Abbi Falls.
- Sree Durga Hotel Hill View: This 3-star hotel is situated in Madikeri, within reach of this hotel are the Madikeri Fort and the Raja seat. It features an ATM, free wifi, 24-hour front desk, and free parking on site.
- KSTDC Hotel Mayura Valley View: This hotel features a terrace, a shared lounge, a garden view, plus it is just a few meters from the Raja seat. Some of its facilities include a restaurant, free wifi, and an outdoor pool.
- Hotel Caveri Inn: This hotel is situated in Madikeri. It is a walk distance from Raja's seat, and about a kilometer away from the Madikeri Fort. It features free onsite parking, 24-hour front desk, and room service.
Best Time To Travel :
The city of Coorg has tropical weather. Coorg weather features a calm temperature all year long. It is dryer between October to January, and this period features the most visits to the Coorg hill station. Monsoon season is between June to September, this period features incessant rainfalls. The major festivals Kailpodh comes up every September, and Puttari which is a rice festival comes up in November and December.
Places To Visit :
- Raja Seat: Raja seat is a beautiful garden, with diverse kinds of flowers and plants, and artificial fountains. This lush green landscape was the main relaxation spot for the ancient kings of Kodagu. The view of the sunset is one you would not want to miss, it is an ideal relaxation spot for a weekend getaway with family and friends, especially if you are a nature lover.
- Nagarhole National Park: Flora and fauna species are a sight to behold. It is located in the Mysore district of Karnataka. Get a view of nature in its raw form, various wildlife species such as Elephants, Mongoose, Hyenas, Jackals, Tigers, Panthers, and so forth, birds are not left out, this park has over 200 varieties of them. It is bordered by the Kabini River on the north and the Bandipur national park on the south.
- Abbey Falls: Also referred to as the Abbi falls. It is located just a few kilometers away from Madikeri. It is one destination tourist love to visit. It features falling clear water, the surrounding landscape is green, catch sight of nature at its finest. There is a bridge hanging opposite the falls, giving you a splendid view of the foamy waters.
- Golden Temple (Namdroling Monastery) : This temple is located at a distance of a few kilometers from the city of Coorg, it is a Tibetan teaching center, it is often referred to as the ‘Golden Temple’. This beautiful temple is well embellished with the ancient Tibetan artworks.
About Visa :
The Indian government has made a visa provision for tourist, known as the e-Visa, it is applied for at least 4 days before your arrival at an International Airport in India. The visa lasts for 30 days, it is not extendable, but you can apply for it twice in a single calendar year.
To spend your honeymoon in one of the best honeymoon places, consider visiting our blogs in TripSmooth that aims to make your honeymoon full of romanticism.